Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mohegan Sun Round 4

Yes, I said round 4. It really has been, 4 shows that I have been at this tour at Mohegan Sun. I will start by saying Mohegan is a special place for a Bon Jovi show. This one was no less special, but in some very different ways. One of our boys was not there. Richie. He is going through a rough time right now, in rehab for some drinking issues. We all hope that Richie is finally getting the help he needs, and will be stable and healthy when he does come back to us.

In the meanwhile Phil X is stepping in for Richie. I have to say Jon picked a winner with Phil. Awesomely talented guy who is picking the music up really well and adding his own bit of style to it. I will say that of course, we want Richie there. But he needs to take some time for him, and Phil is an awesome stand in.


So now on to the show. Paige flew up again to see this show at Mohegan. After our last gem, she decided she HAD to be here. Hubby graciously gave up his ticket so she could attend. :) It was as if it was meant to be. Fan club tickets had went on sale for Mohegan, and I missed it. Well, after a weekend in Montreal, the hubby says, sure, lets go. Get tickets. So I check, and they had released more. I ended up getting 3rd row David's side, on the circle. Just to the right of Jon. Perfect. We were on the rail all night long, it was an awesome view. The only complaint was there was not enough light on Phil. Hey, I am a photographer. Taking pictures is what I do and my camera would have loved Phil. He had that cool rock star hair, and great guitar poses. But it wasn't to be. Now I also love David and Tico, but But David was too far back, and Tico, well he is behind those drums somewhere....

We had a good time meeting up with a few friends before the show to chat and compare notes. One set of friends had been at the show the night before and really enjoyed it. That made me look forward to this show. Now let me say, Richie is not there. It is obvious. Phil is not Richie. There is a HUGE void. You can see it, feel it, even taste it. It is thick as molasses. BUT, I went in with the mindset that I was going to have fun. I love this band and want to be there to support them, and in doing that, I support Richie, too. And I love Jon. No doubt about it, I do. Anyone who knows me knows I am a Jon girl. But one reason is because of what a talented front man, musician, performer, that he is. He has forged on with the shows, putting out 200% to give the fans a show they will love. He is working his, ummm, tush off. No way else to put it. His voice is in amazing form. He is dancing and jumping up a storm. Oh yes, other complaint. Jon needs to hold those poses for a while so I can snap pictures. He moves around too much! ;) Remember, photographer first, concert goer second.

The show opened, the big screen came down. We were SO excited, grabbing on the rail and screaming (hey, that is what we do!). I won't go every single song. I will try to hit the highlights. They opened with Last Man Standing. I looked in the back of the arena, but no Jon. He started it right on stage, in front, ready to drive his ship boldly onward. And he did just that. He held notes for what seemed like ages, jumped around like he was that 20 something long haired rocker boy he was 28 years go. He prowled around the stage, end to end, interacting with the fans, drawing them all in. He did what he does best, seduce an audience. Bobby joined him on a few solos, and the typical Pretty Woman. Bobby had some new hairdo going last night, even Jon commented on it. lol Phil stepped forward at the appropriate times and ran his fingers up and down the neck of his guitar like the pro that he is, belting out some really amazing solos. He even got the rock star hair going a few times, much to my poor camera's dismay. I could not stop the motion enough to get the wonderful hair effect with my point and shoot. I really need to talk to Jon about letting me bring in my pro gear...dontcha thing?

Jon came out on the circle all alone. The crowd pushed forward, surrounding him, reaching to lift him up with cheers and smiles. I think he could feel the love. A few times he mentioned Richie, telling us we had to sing his parts for him, loud enough to hear in California! Jon put in a couple of new verses in old favorites that are just to melt the heart. You could just see the emotion dripping from him right along with the abundant sweat he worked up on the stage. A couple of songs that go to me, a few tears welling up in the eyes, I'll Be There For You and Wanted. Those two were what did it for me. Richie is his sidekick on those. There were others, too. But those, to me, were the two that hurt. But it is what it is and he poured his heart into the performance. Not too much hugging and kissing last night, no Bed of Roses. He has been very touchy feely with the audience lately. As if he needs to touch us and needs us to touch him. I think he is pulling strength from us when he is up there alone, working the audience. Of course Tico and David were there, too. David as flirty and cute as ever. Tico was somewhere back there, love Tico! Hugh and Bobby, and of course, Phil.

The show went on, Jon only shed his leather jacket, never took the time to change once or dry the locks plastered to his neck and head. The snug black tank top soaked pretty well all the way through, he bid us goodnight. Mohegan did its best to sound big, despite only holding 9000 people. It worked. Jon and the boys came back and said to heck with curfew, and played until well after 11 for us, as least 15 or so minutes past. The boys all took hands, Phil too, and thank us, then bowed. Then the original boys, the remaining, stood there, an empty space so very obvious. Jon looked tired. He looked sad. He looked so very spent. Tico gave him a pat on the back and they left, Tico the last to give a wave to the audience and descend into into the underbelly of the stage.

Paige and I looked at each other, let out a heavy sigh, and waited for the crowd to clear a bit before we left. Sad to see them go, happy from such an awesome show, and promises of more wonderful music from our boys in two weeks when we fly into Milwaukee for the second to the last show. A wonderful night, all around. Emotional, but so charged with energy and rock n roll. Thank you Jon, Phil and all the boys. We really appreciated the effort that you all gave and hope you all felt the love back. Until our next date....wanna see a concert? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment